Dr. Adrienne Matheson, Ph.D., C.Psych., RPT is a Licensed Psychologist practicing in Ottawa, ON. Dr. Matheson has been working with young children and their families for the past 10 years. Dr. Matheson works with children, teens, parents and families that are struggling with a wide range of challenges including anxiety, aggression, bullying, trauma, separation/divorce, ADHD, self-harm, OCD, sleep, feeding and sensory regulation challenges. Dr. Adrienne Matheson completed a PhD in Developmental Psychology from Carleton University (2009) and a Masters in Counselling from the University of Ottawa (2004).
Dr. Matheson also provides support to families that are going through divorce and separation by providing information, support and consultation. Further, Dr. Matheson conducts Custody and Access Assessments for the courts.
Dr. Matheson lives in Ottawa with her husband and three young children.
Adrienne Matheson’s Philosophy
Dr. Matheson works from an attachment framework that emphasizes the important role of the attachment relationship in a child’s healthy functioning and development. Dr. Matheson believes in supporting children’s healthy development in the context of a safe relationship with at least one important person. In her work with children, Dr. Matheson uses a range of treatment methods including play therapy,
counselling, CBT, and EMDR to support children’s healthy functioning. Dr. Matheson also acknowledges the importance of supporting caregivers by providing evidence – based support and recommendations.
- Circle of Security Parent Group ® Facilitator
- EMDR (2014)
- SOS Feeding Therapist (2014)
- Play Therapy Training (2014)
- Neuro-Relational Framework (2013)
Past and Current Memberships and Associations
- College of Psychologists of ON
- College of Psychologists of BC
- College of Alberta Psychologists
- Canadian Psychological Association
- Psychologist Association of Alberta
- BC Psychological Association
- Ontario Psychological Association
- Society for Research in Child Development
- BC Play Therapy Association
- American Play Therapy Association